Sunday, January 08, 2006

A New Year

"...but sometimes I think you have to remove yourself from the situation, from the person. There are people that can hurt you too much, so much that their self-destructive life patterns are a threat to your ability to be the person that you want to be, your ability to continue supporting the other people in your life. " ~ Protean in Utah

I read this in a blog that I read regularly. I was shocked to see someone put in words a situation I have grown to understand so well. It hurts to let go of someone but is sometimes nessasary. As we have started a new year I have been thinking a lot about the last fe years and my life. 2004 was a big year in personal development as the year I came out of the closet.
2005 was the year of getting use to myself and discovering who I really am.
I see 2006 as the year where I start to fully be me all the time and TRY not to hide.

I hope that I can look back at this coming year and be happy with who I am and how far I have come.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Walter said...

"It hurts to let go of someone but is sometimes nessasary."

It will get easier. After you have more dating experience, you be able to distinguish between guys you may be truly compatible with and those who just wouldn't work as long-term partners.

The first guy I dated, I thought I loved him. Then I realized I were merely infatuated with him and didn't have feelings for him anymore. It hurt him, but it was the best I, the novice young gay man, was able to do.

"I see 2006 as the year where I start to fully be me all the time and TRY not to hide."

That's a good goal. I hid my gayness for a long time, and it was stressful and draining. Then, suddenly, my employeer (The Associated Press) came out in the early 1980s with a hideously homophobic employee posting ridiculing the union's request for equal-rights protections for gays. It was infuriating enough to prompt me to ask that my name be attached to a union newsletter "open letter to management" blasting the AP for its homophobic stance. In the process, I came out to the entire staff of the AP, nationwide. It was more liberating than I can describe.

"I hope that I can look back at this coming year and be happy with who I am and how far I have come."

I hope so too. But take it a step at a time, at a comfortable pace. And, not that you said you would, but don't set any deadlines by when you must have a boyfriend.

Dave

4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home